This is an important update to our communications about the launch of version 5 of the NBN Gateway and its new system of data access controls. As well as a more user-friendly and flexible set of access controls, version 5 will incorporate significantly improved data download functionality, better feedback for data providers and an entirely new technical infrastructure which will improve stability and performance. This is a major piece of development work and our aim is to ensure a seamless transition to the new system for you, both as data providers and data users. In order to allow sufficient time for rigorous testing before the new system goes live, the launch will now be the 17th December and not October as previously communicated.
Whilst this delay is unavoidable, we want to reassure you that our development team is working together on the new system to ensure that it works for everyone on the launch date. The NBN Gateway is technologically a very advanced system, but our team is:
- importing the current NBN Gateway into the new database structure
- adding new functionality as well as making the old functionality fit into the new structure
- improving data loading routines
- managing the whole process to ensure the new system works by the launch date
There will be two more rounds of data loading before the launch of Gateway v. 5. Data providers will be able to change public and enhanced access levels to current datasets until a week before the launch of the new system, and we are happy to provide help with this. The key dates are:
• Final dataset submission date for penultimate round of upload in October – 19th October
• Dataset live date – 29th October
• Final dataset submission date for last round of upload in November – 16th November
• Dataset live date - 26th November
• Deadline for changing access to datasets before the launch of Gateway v. 5 - 7th December
• Launch of Gateway v. 5 - 17th December
We would like to thank you for the time and effort you have already spent dealing with intermediate access positions and other related tasks to ensure a smooth transition to the new system. We really do appreciate this and understand how valuable your time is.
We now have a web page which explains the changes to the access controls, how they will affect you and whether you need to do to anything to prepare for them. You can also download the information as a pdf if it would be helpful to print the information out.
We will continue to keep you updated over the next few months. We will also be offering a Q&A session during the lunch break at the NBN Conference, so that you can ask the team for all the latest information.
In the meantime, if you cannot find the answer to your question here or if you would like to discuss the implications of the new access controls, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org